Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Dollar Highest Level Since May 2020


Stock index futures were sharply lower in the overnight trade due to ongoing tensions in Eastern Europe, but were able to partially recover.

The 2:00 central time January consumer credit report is expected to show a $21.5 billion  increase.

The dominant influences remain geopolitical tensions followed distantly by the hawkish Federal Reserve.


Flight to quality longs are being established in the U.S. dollar, as investors continue a flight to safety.

The U.S. dollar is now at its highest level since May 2020. Additional safe-haven buying is likely to come into the U.S. dollar.

The euro weakened to its lowest level since May 2020 despite news that new orders for German manufactured goods increased 1.8% month-to-month in January of 2022, following an upwardly revised 3.0% gain in December and much better than market forecasts of a 1.0% advance.

Swiss consumer price inflation increased by a higher than expected 2.2% in February, which is the highest level since 2008.

U.K. average property prices increased 10.8% year-over-year in February to a new all-time high.


With stock index futures partially recovering from their overnight lows, some flight to quality longs were liquidated.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 97.8% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 25 basis points and a 2.2% probability that the  rate will remain unchanged at 0 to 25 basis points at its March 16 policy meeting. The probability for a 50 basis point hike is virtually zero. A few weeks ago the probability of a 50 basis point rate increase was over 50%.

Fed Chairman Jerome Powell last week said he would support a 25 basis point interest rate increase at the central bank’s upcoming meeting next week but added that he would be “prepared to move more aggressively” later if inflation does not subside as quickly as anticipated.

Some analysts believe that if the rate of growth in the U.S. economy slows, and also globally, it may be difficult for the Federal Reserve and other major central banks to maintain ramped-up hawkish policies.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started