Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Markets React to Bullish Econ Reports


The U.S. dollar index firmed due to this morning’s U.S. economic reports.

It still appears that the Federal Reserve will start cutting interest rates earlier than some of the other major central banks.

Lower prices are likely for the U.S. dollar longer term.

The HCOB euro zone Composite Purchasing Managers’ Index was revised up for December to match November’s 47.6 after a preliminary estimate of 47.0. However, the index remained under the 50 mark, which separates growth from contraction.

The German consumer price inflation report showed an increase to 3.7% year-on-year in December 2023, as expected, rising from the previous month’s over two-year low of 3.2%.


Stock index futures are mixed.

The ADP employment report for December showed an increase of 164,000 when up 115,000 was expected.

Jobless claims in the week ended December 30 were 202,000 when 217,500 were predicted.

The 8:45 central time December PMI composite final is forecast to be 51.0.

The fundamentals and technicals remain supportive to stock index futures longer term despite recent talk of a potentially less dovish Federal Reserve in 2024.


The minutes from the December 13 Federal Open Market committee meeting were released yesterday and revealed a consensus view that interest rate cuts are likely to be appropriate this year. However, policymakers stressed the need to remain data dependent and reaffirmed that policy must remain at a restrictive level before the economy shows clearer signs that inflation will decline to the Fed’s target.

Traders continue to believe the Fed will cut interest rates this year but not at the January meeting.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 7% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will reduce its fed funds rate by 25 points at its January 31, 2024  policy meeting and a 93% probability of no change.

However, financial futures markets are currently suggesting the Federal Open Market Committee will reduce its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at its March 20, 2024 policy meeting.

Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started