Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Yield Curve Inversions in Focus


Corporate news took some of the focus off developments in Ukraine. Peace talks are expected to resume today.

The 9:00 central time February factory orders report is expected to be down 0.6%.

Futures remain well above downtrend lines.

The main fundamental influences remain geopolitical tensions and the hawkish Federal Reserve.


The euro currency is lower on news that the German trade surplus declined to €11.4 billion in February of 2022 from €17.9 billion a year earlier, as imports jumped 24.5% to €111.9 billion, and exports rose at a softer 14.4% pace to €123.3 billion.

One of Japan’s former chief currency officials said current Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda won’t change his ultra-low interest rate policy in the coming quarters, even though he will come under political pressure to do so because of the weak yen.

Interest rate differential expectations remain bearish for the Japanese yen and lower prices are likely.


Traders are keeping a close watch on the yield curve, which measures the spread between short-term and long-term interest rates and is often seen as an indicator of sentiment about the prospects for economic growth.

The Treasury yield curve is flashing more warnings that economic growth will slow as the Federal Reserve raises rates to tame inflation. The two-year U.S. yield has exceeded the 30-year yield for the first time since 2007, joining inversions on other parts of the yield curve.

The Fed has little choice but to increase the pace of fed funds rate hikes given headline inflation rates are the highest since the 1970s and are predicted to go higher.

Currently there is a 73.3% probability of a 50 basis point increase and a 26.7% probability of a 25 basis point hike in the fed funds rate at the May 4 policy meeting.

Lower prices are likely across the board for the interest rate futures market as most major central banks are anticipated to tighten credit policies this year.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started